Our Wisconsin Revolution’s 3rd Annual Convention
WHEN: June 21st-22nd, 2019
WHERE: UW-Stevens Point • 2100 Main St., Stevens Point, WI 54481
This year Our Wisconsin Revolution is hosting our 3rd Annual Statewide Convention at UW-Stevens Point! The OWR Annual Convention creates a rare opportunity for members throughout the state to converge in Stevens Point, WI for the weekend. Trainings will be held on a variety of topics and members from our chapters will reflect and share what they have learned this past year. The OWR Annual Convention is a valuable learning experience that creates member camaraderie and cultivates valuable partnerships throughout Wisconsin.
Register for the Convention TODAY!
Here is the Tentative Schedule*:
FRIDAY JUNE 21st:
- 3:00PM – Registration Opens.
- Pick up your convention packet, name tag, dorm key, and campus map at the Convention registration table located outside the UWSP Dreyfus University Center Alumni Room. Check in to your Dorm, browse the campus or drop in on one of our early bird sessions.
- 4:00PM – Early-Bird Breakout Sessions:
- What’s the Deal with the Green New Deal?
- Join former UW-Oshkosh Director of Environmental Studies, David Barnhill, in a discussion of the various facets, pros and cons of the Green New Deal. It’s goal: the radical transformation of American politics and economics. This much-debated proposal will be a major dimension of the current Congress and the campaign for President 2020. So, what’s the deal with the Green New Deal? What is in the proposal? What are the arguments in favor of it? What are the criticisms? What alternative plans have been proposed?
- The History of Native American Policy and Activism
- Facilitated by Heather Brugel, a Historian and member of the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin, this workshop explores the history of US Policy towards Native Americans. We start with the Indian Removal Act and come all the way to the present. Often times many people do not know the history of policy and this workshop explores those policies and hopes to educate. Learn about the American Indian Movement and how the activism of the 1960’s lives on today.
- 5:30PM – Convention Welcome and Opening.
- Kick off the OWR Convention with a welcome from OWR Co-Chairs Sarah Lloyd and Terrance Warthen.
- 6:00PM – Women in Politics Panel.
- Moderated by OWR Portage County member, Melinda Osterberg we will join State Treasurer, Sarah Godlewski, Wisconsin State Representative, Katrina Shankland, Milwaukee County Supervisor, Marcelia Nicholson, and Portage County Board Representative, Ntxhais Chai Maou, in a conversation about running for office and advocating for equality. Learn how to become a better ally and continue the fight for representation.
- 6:45PM – Evening Keynote, Rosa Clemente.
- Rosa Clemente is an organizer, producer, political commentator, independent journalist and candidate. She was the first ever Afro-Latina women to run for Vice-President of the United States in 2008 on the Green Party ticket. She and her running mate, Cynthia McKinney, were to this date the only women of color ticket in American history.
- 7:45PM – Social Mixer.
- After an evening of programming, take time to unwind at our Friday Night Mixer. Enjoy appetizers, the company of fellow OWR members and the vocal harmonies of Ruth B8r Ginsberg. Ruth B8r Ginsberg is a seven-piece neo soul-folk group from Milwaukee with an aim to lift up the voice of the people. In seven part vocal harmonies, they address a myriad of contemporary issues.
SATURDAY JUNE 22nd:
- 7:00AM – Breakfast and Opening.
- 8:30AM- Breakout Sessions #1.
- How to Write a Great Op-Ed with The Progressive Magazine
- LGBTQ Advocacy with OWR Board Members Krish Colon and Nate Wolff
- Wisconsin Courts: Independent or Intimidated with The Wisconsin Justice Initiative Executive Director, Gretchen Schuldt
- Gerrymandering in WI with OWR Member, Andrew Boden
- Bringing People Close to Pain Close to Power with Beverly Skow and Kwn Smith.
- 9:50AM – Breakout Session #2.
- Birddogging 101 with Sarah Pearson from Women’s March WI.
- Young Activist and Organizing with Molinna Bui.
- Labor’s Historic Role in Progressive Wisconsin Politics with OWR member, Ken Germanson.
- OWR’s High Road Program with OWR Board Member and State Treasurer, Joel Rogers.
- 11:10AM -Breakout Session #3.
- What You Need To Know About Medicare for All with retired Physician and OWR Member, Mark Neumann.
- The Shifting Political Landscape in Wisconsin by Marquette Law School’s Charles Franklin.
- How Can OWR Influence The Democratic Party? And Should We Try? with OWR member, Michael Olnek.
- Union Bargaining, Right to Work and Workmans Comp with OWR Board Member, Joni Anderson.
- Where Have All the Voters Gone? with OWR Board Member, Charlie Uphoff.
- 12:30PM – Lunch and Keynote Speaker.
- 2:00PM – OWR Business Session.
- 4:00PM – Keynote and Closing.
*We will update this section with more information including an agenda & logistics in the very near future.
Get your tickets TODAY!