Monthly Newsletter March ’19
03/01/2019 – Find out what Our Wisconsin Revolution members and their chapters have been up to this last month.
BOARD OF DIRECTOR – MINUTES
Ever wonder what the Board of Directors is up to? Wonder no more. The Board of Directors meets bi-monthly on Sunday evenings. Read through the most recent minutes below:
The spring election is only 32 days away and that means the Our Wisconsin Revolution endorsement process is OPEN! We have endorsed candidates in local races all over the state and we’ll continue to process endorsements requests for the next week or so.
Check out a few of our endorsements:
This election cycle we are encouraging all our chapters to endorse at least one local candidate. Whether it’s School Board, County Board or City Council, these local races have ability to transform communities. At the grassroots level we have the opportunity to seat people-powered candidates in cities, towns and villages all over Wisconsin this April, so get your endorsements requests in!
An Our Wisconsin Revolution endorsement comes with one of our most valuable resources, the power of our members. If you are a candidate running for office (or you know of one) you can request to participate in the OWR Endorsement process by emailing email@example.com. We are accepting endorsement inquiry’s until March 9th.
OWR IN THE NEWS
All over the state, our members and their chapters are busy working to transform their communities. Here are some write ups from the last month:
- “Dozens gather at Capitol to protest Trump’s national emergency declaration” The Cap Times –On Monday, February 18th activists from all over the state protested in response to the President’s manufactured crisis at our southern border.
- “Over 30 Organizations Call on DNR to Stop We Energies’ Mercury Variance” Urban Milwaukee –Our Wisconsin Revolution is an supporting member of the Clean Power Coalition of Southeastern Wisconsin. Through advocacy and activism the CPC works to end We Energies’ dirty and outdated process for treating it’s coal ash.
- “Advocate to Get Money Out of Politics” Shepherd Express – Promotion of OWR-Milwaukee’s upcoming event, Advocate to Get Money Our of Politics with Matt Rothschild of The Wisconsin Democracy Campaign and Shauntay Nelson of Wisconsin Voices.
THE 3RD ANNUAL OWR CONVENTION
Plans are in the works for the 3rd Annual Our Wisconsin Revolution Convention. Make sure to Save the date – Friday, June 21st and Saturday, June 22nd.
This year we are hosting our 3rd Annual Convention at UW-Stevens Point! The Our Wisconsin Revolution Annual Convention creates a rare opportunity for members throughout the state to converge in Stevens Point for the weekend. Trainings will be held on a variety of topics and members from our chapters will reflect and share what they have learned this past year. The OWR Annual Convention is a valuable learning experience, creates member camaraderie and cultivates valuable partnerships throughout Wisconsin.
Just like last years convention, we will have single and double occupancy dorms as well as linen packages available at a very affordable rate. *If you would prefer hotel accommodations you must book them yourself, OWR is not responsible for accommodations outside of the UWSP dorms. Please note that there are multiple events happening in Central Wisconsin the weekend of the June 21st so if hotel accommodations are a must – book them soon.
Sign up here, to be updated first on convention details like speakers and breakout sessions! We are also starting to accept submission for breakout session proposals, so if you are interested in helping plan this years convention, consider joining the Events Committee. Email Grace Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org to join!
- 03/02 – Blue Jean Nation’s People Powered Summit. Hungry for alternatives to the politics of fear, hate, divisiveness and polarization? At this food-for-thought buffet activists will learn about organizing locally to bring about people powered democracy and brainstorm ways to creatively overcome the power of money in politics.
- 03/04 – Advocate to Get Money Out of Politics. OWR- Milwaukee host the second in a series of events aimed to address how money in politics is corrupting our political system. This event will feature Matt Rothschild from Wisconsin Democracy Campaign and Shauntay Nelson from WI Voices.
- 03/10 – Socialist Sundays Gathering hosted by OWR-Appleton. This monthly gathering is simply a social event to come together, have some pizza and enjoy the company of your friends at Our Wisconsin Revolution.
- 03/13 – Deadline to register to vote by mail or online at my.vote.wi.gov for the April 2nd spring elections.
- 03/21 – Political Open Mic: Peace, Crime & Justice. Join NEWaukee and Bridge the City as they dive deep into the topic of justice in Milwaukee. This event is free, but ticketed event. RSVP Here.
- 03/23 – The Wisconsin Grassroots Festival. A day-long gathering of grassroots activists from all over Wisconsin. Attendees will hear thought-provoking speakers, dig in deeper in breakout sessions and enjoy a day of music, food and fun. Make sure to stop by the OWR table and say hi!? For more information and tickets, visit their Event Brite site.
- 03/27 – Conservation Lobby Day. Conservationists from all over the state will meet with decision makers at the state capitol to voice our concerns and demonstrate the power of our conservation community. More info on the event Facebook page.
- 03/28 – Deadline to request an absentee ballot.
- 03/29 – Deadline to register to vote at your municipal clerk’s office, (you can still register on Election Day at your polling place).
- 03/30 – OWR-Eau Claire Mixer. Join OWR as we re-launch our Eau Claire Chapter for a mid-day lunch mixer. Pizza, people and camaraderie – what could be better?
- 04/02 – SPRING ELECTION DAY!
- 02/01 – Oregon Area Progressives hosted their monthly Open Mic with featured guest candidate for the WI Supreme Court, Lisa Neubeauer.
- 02/14 – A Valentine for Democracy. Senator Chris Larson and the Money Out/Voters Coalition held a press conference to introduce a collection of 9 bills that address campaign finance reform. Watch the press conference HERE.
- 02/18 – Stand up to Trump’s Fake National Emergency. Activist from all of the state protested at the State Capitol and spoke out against the fake national emergency
- 02/26 – Fair Maps Supper and Town Hall. This event featured Bill Whitford, the plaintiff in the Whitford v. Gill gerrymandering case. Watch the livestream HERE.
- 02/28 – Drinking Liberally Minocqua hosted in part with OWR-Northwoods.
- 02/28 – Governor Tony Evers delivered his first state budget address from the State Capitol. Watch it here.
JOIN A COMMITTEE
Our structure consists of these committees: Bylaws, Communications, Chapter Development, Elections & Advocacy, Events (Ad Hoc), Executive, Membership & Fundraising, Platform & Policy, Popular Education.
Joining a committee is a great way to stay up to date on issues that you value and meet members from around the state. These committees would flourish with more member involvement.
Is YOUR chapter doing anything we should know about?
Send along news, events, and photos to Grace at email@example.com so it can be included in the next newsletter.